The United Services Automobile Association (USAA) offers multiple financial products, including auto insurance, homeowners insurance, and mortgage loans, for retired and active military personnel and their eligible family members. USAA members receive discounts ranging from 15% to 20% on auto, home, and renters insurance and are guaranteed life insurance once retired from the military.
In this USAA home warranty review, the This Old House Reviews Team will go over what USAA covers and doesn’t cover in terms of home protection and explain our reasons for choosing American Home Shield as one of the best home warranty companies for comprehensive home protection coverage.
Does USAA Offer a Home Warranty?
Although USAA offered home warranties for a brief time, the insurance company now only offers homeowners insurance and a variety of financial services to help members attain their future financial goals.
USAA Homeowners Insurance Coverage
According to the USAA website, a USAA homeowners insurance policy covers the following events:
- Most weather-related events
- Identity theft
USAA also covers the following structures and situations:
- Dwelling coverage—Covers repair or rebuilding of your home if damaged by a covered event
- Personal belongings—Covers accidental injury or damage to others’ property
- Home sharing coverage—Covers guests in your home, including those renting a room in your home or the entire home
- Personal liability—Covers accidental injury or damage to the property of others
- Loss of use—Covers any increase in living expenses if your home is uninhabitable after a covered event
- Other structures—Covers other detached structures on your property, such as storage sheds, driveways, fences, and detached garages
What Else Does USAA Offer?
In terms of financial products and services, there is little that USAA doesn’t offer. USAA offers the following programs and products designed to help members plan and secure a strong financial future:
- Umbrella insurance
- Auto insurance
- Renters insurance
- Mutual funds
- Optional earthquake coverage
If you’re looking for a home warranty to cover your home’s major systems and appliances, consider a top-rated company like American Home Shield or First American Home Warranty.
Read more: Best Home Warranty Companies (2022 Guide)
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Preferred Home Warranty Provider: American Home Shield
If you’re looking for comprehensive coverage for your major home systems and appliances, consider investing in a home warranty with American Home Shield. AHS is a home warranty veteran and provides some of the most extensive protection in the industry.
American Home Shield provides three home warranty plans: the ShieldSilver™, ShieldGold™, and ShieldPlatinum™ Plan. ShieldSilver covers major home systems like your air conditioning, electrical, and plumbing. ShieldGold covers essential items like your refrigerator, washer, and dryer alongside major systems. ShieldPlatinum provides coverage for 23 systems and appliances with additional benefits like free roof leak coverage.
American Home Shield plans cost between $40–$58 and has service fees that range between $75–$125, which is in line with the industry standard. AHS also lets customers choose their own service fee—a higher service fee means a lower monthly premium and vice versa.
In addition to their comprehensive coverage and affordable pricing, AHS also offers the following benefits:
- Provides generous coverage caps on systems and appliances
- Has a 24/7 customer service team
- Doesn’t require a home inspection for coverage to kick in
- Services 49 states, excluding Alaska
- Has been in business for almost 50 years
- Is an accredited business with the Better Business Bureau (BBB)
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.