When your pet is unexpectedly injured, or an illness leaves it needing immediate medical attention, you might have to pay expensive vet bills to get the necessary treatment. Pet insurance helps you mediate those expenses and gives you peace of mind that your furry friend will be properly cared for during an emergency.
The This Old House Reviews team dug deep into the pet insurance industry and researched the best pet insurance companies in New Jersey, offering details on each company’s benefits, coverage, plans, and local prices based on sample quotes in Jersey City, New Jersey, for a few different cat and dog breeds.
New Jersey’s Top 7 Pet Insurance Companies
Lemonade: Best Overall
Scoring a 96 out of 100, Lemonade is our top performer for many reasons, winning our “Best Overall” rating.
Some highlights include:
- Variety of coverage options with each plan
- Extensive list of covered procedures
- Wellness add-on & extended coverage add-on available
- Mobile app for streamlined claims process
- Charitable giveback program
The company lost points for its rating on the Better Business Bureau (BBB), which is lower than most other top providers. However, this rating is due to complaints about Lemonade’s other insurance products, specifically homeowners insurance and renters insurance, rather than pet insurance.
Lemonade Pros and Cons
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of Lemonade:
✔ Doesn’t have an age limit for coverage
✔ Has a high annual limit option of $100,000
✔ Has a bundling discount for Lemonade home insurance policyholders
✘ Doesn’t have a phone number for customer service calls
Lemonade offers one plan for accidents and illnesses, covering vet bills from diagnostics, procedures, and medication-related to various accidents and illnesses, such as injuries, broken bones, sprains, cancer, infections, heart diseases, hip dysplasia, and hernias. Lemonade doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions, elective procedures, or behavioral treatments.
Coverage and Add-ons
Lemonade also offers a wellness add-on for preventive and routine care, including annual exams, heartworm tests, internal parasite tests, blood work, and three vaccines. This plan costs around $16–$25 per month, depending on your pet and level of coverage. It also provides an add-on for coverage on vet visit fees and another one for physical therapy, acupuncture, and chiropractic care.
Get a Free Quote: To get an instant pet insurance quote from Lemonade, fill out this simple online form.
Learn More: Lemonade Pet Insurance Review
Spot: Most Customizable Plans
Scoring a 91 out of 100, Spot provides the most customizable pet insurance plans on the market.
Spot pet insurance could be ideal if you’re looking for a policy with cheaper premiums.
Some highlights include:
- One of the cheapest pet insurance policies (if you select the lowest coverage limit of $2,500 and the highest annual deductible of $1,000)
- Higher prices than competitors for unlimited coverage
- More affordable Accident-Only Plan than competitors
Spot Pros and Cons
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of Spot:
✔ Provides a 30-day money-back guarantee
✔ Covers hip dysplasia, which some companies exclude
✔ Includes microchip implantation, which typically isn’t covered by an accident and illness plan
✘ Doesn’t insure pets under eight weeks old
✘ Doesn’t offer website chat for customer service
- Accident-Only Plan: Spot’s Accident-Only Plan covers emergency vet visits and procedures pertaining to injuries, toxic ingestions, or swallowed objects.
- Accident and Illness Plan: The Accident and Illness Plan covers hereditary conditions, congenital conditions, behavioral issues, cancer, respiratory infections, diabetes, dental disease, and other common illnesses.
With either plan, you can select between five deductibles, three reimbursement percentage options, and six annual limits to help customize your premium.
- Gold Preventative Care Add-On: Spot also offers the Gold Preventative Care add-on, which includes coverage for dental cleanings, wellness exams, fecal tests, heartworms tests, and vaccines for a flat rate of $9.95 per month.
- Platinum Preventative Care Add-On: The Platinum Preventative Care add-on is an extra $24.95 per month for the benefits of the other package in addition to increased per-item limits and blood tests, urinalysis, deworming, flea prevention, and spaying or neutering.
Get a Free Quote: To get a free quote from Spot, fill out this quick online form on the provider’s website.
Learn More: Spot Pet Insurance Review
Embrace: Best Deductibles
Embrace earned a 93.5 out of 100, standing out for its deductible options and unique diminishing deductible benefit.
Some highlights include:
- Free “Healthy Pet Deductible” benefit with each policy
- Best for those wanting to lower out-of-pocket costs during claims
- $50 credit toward deductible after each year you don’t file a claim
However, we recommend other providers if you need a higher coverage limit, since Embrace’s annual limit options only go as high as $30,000 per year.
Embrace Pros and Cons
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of Embrace:
✔ Provides a 10% multi-pet discount
✔ Has a helpful mobile app for policy management
✔ Offers a free medical history review
✘ Maxes out annual limits at $30,000
✘ The wellness add-on prices can be expensive compared to other providers
Embrace’s Accident and Illness Plan covers incidents related to injuries, common illnesses, dental trauma, chronic conditions, congenital conditions, cancer, and genetic conditions. Covered vet bills can include allergy testing, acupuncture, X-rays, ultrasounds, surgery, hospitalization, lab tests, and physical therapy.
Coverage and Add-ons
Embrace also offers an optional Wellness Rewards for Routine Care Plan, which covers a range of preventative care, such as grooming, flea medications, routine vet visits, teeth cleaning, and vaccinations. The annual limits for this package are $250, $450, and $650.
Embrace excludes pre-existing conditions that manifest before or during the enrollment and waiting periods of two days for accidents and 14 days for illnesses.
Get a Free Quote: Visit the Embrace website to learn more about the Healthy Pet Deductible and get a free quote based on your pet’s specific information and ZIP code in New Jersey.
Learn More: Embrace Pet Insurance Review
Healthy Paws: Best Coverage Limit
Healthy Paws scored a 93.5 out of 100, impressing us with its unlimited coverage.
Some highlights include:
- Ability to maximize policy without worrying about annual, lifetime, or per-incident limits
- Great option for pet parents who want more than a basic wellness plan
- Quick digital claims process, with most claims processed within 2 days
Healthy Paws Pros and Cons
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of Healthy Paws:
✔ Has a comparison tool that recommends other companies with better prices when quoted premiums are higher than normal
✔ Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee
✔ Has a donation program to support homeless pets
✘ Doesn’t offer any add-ons for wellness or routine care
✘ Has less customizability than competitors
Healthy Paws Plans and Coverage
Healthy Paws offers only one plan for accidents and illnesses without any wellness care add-ons. This plan comes with an unlimited coverage cap and your choice of a 70% or 80% reimbursement and a $250 or $500 annual deductible. It covers hereditary, congenital, and chronic conditions, as well as most common accidents and illnesses. Covered procedures or vet visits in this plan include X-rays, surgery, hospitalization, medications, emergency care, specialty care, alternative treatments, and more.
Healthy Paws pet insurance policies exclude pre-existing conditions, preventative care, spay or neuter procedures, and vet office or exam fees. It also has a longer-than-average waiting period of 15 days for covered accidents and illnesses from the time of the policy’s effective start date.
Get a Free Quote: Fill out your pet’s information and ZIP code on the Healthy Paws online quote tool to compare prices with other providers.
Learn More: Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Review
Figo: Best Extra Coverage Add-on
Earning a 93 out of 100, Figo is on our list of New Jersey pet insurance providers for its extra coverage add-ons, specifically its liability add-on.
Some highlights include:
- Offers up to $10,000 of liability protection for property damage caused by your furry friend
- Reimburses for vacation cancellation due to covered incidents and pays out advertising and reward money for missing pets
- Provides limitless annual coverage with its Unlimited Plan
Figo Pros and Cons
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of Figo:
✔ Gives you 24/7 access to live vets who can answer pet health questions
✔ Allows you to store records, find vets, and set pet health reminders in its cloud-based app
✔ Offers 100% reimbursement, while other providers only reimburse up to 90%
✘ Offers varying levels of coverage across different states
✘ May charge a transaction fee if you don’t pay annually
Figo Plans and Coverage
Figo offers three accident and illness plans, which differ by annual coverage limits. The Essential plan provides $5,000 of coverage per year and the Preferred plan increases this amount to $10,000. Figo’s Unlimited plan offers unlimited coverage.
Each plan covers health conditions like hip dysplasia, chronic, and general illnesses. They also extend to injuries such as bite wounds or sprains. Figo provides additional routine care add-ons, which can cover vet exam fees and wellness care costs such as dental visits and vaccinations.
Get a Free Quote: Visit the Figo website to learn more about its coverage add-ons and to get a free quote based on your pet’s details and your ZIP code.
Learn More: Figo Pet Insurance Review
Fetch by The Dodo: Best Holistic Coverage
Scoring a 91.5 out of 100, Fetch is our top choice for pet parents seeking holistic coverage for treatments and conditions other providers typically exclude.
Some highlights include:
- Covers complete sick visits with exam fees
- Includes alternative treatments such as acupuncture
- Works with all licensed vets in the U.S. and Canada
Fetch by The Dodo Pros and Cons
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of Fetch:
✔ Offers more coverages in its basic accident and illness plan than most competitors
✔ Covers all adult teeth, not just canines
✔ Has live online chat support
✘ Doesn’t offer a wellness care add-on or a stand-alone accident plan
✘ Has a 15-day waiting period for accidents and illnesses, which is longer than some companies
Plans and Coverage
Fetch offers one accident and illness plan. It covers expenses like vet exam fees, emergency visits, operations, rehabilitation, and diagnostics for accidents and illnesses, including breed-specific conditions which are sometimes excluded by providers. It excludes preexisting conditions, wellness care, and cosmetic or elective procedures.
You can choose anywhere from $5,000 to unlimited annual coverage, with an annual deductible of $250, $300, or $500. Fetch offers 70%, 80%, and 90% reimbursements.
The company doesn’t offer any add-ons for wellness or routine care.
Get a Free Quote: To get a free quote from Fetch, fill out this quick online form on the company’s website.
Learn More: Fetch Pet Insurance Review
ASPCA Pet Health Insurance: Best for New Pet Owners
Scoring an 89 out of 100, ASPCA Pet Health Insurance is our top recommendation for new pet owners looking to learn more about their pet’s health. The company provides a useful local vet finder on its mobile app and website and resources about various pet breeds and their common health issues.
Some highlights include:
- Mobile app for policy management and claims
- Pet insurance comparison tool on its website
- Over 24 years of experience in the industry
ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Pros and Cons
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of ASPCA Pet Health:
✔ Has a short waiting period of 14 days for hip dysplasia issues
✔ Includes microchip implantation in standard coverage
✔ Doesn’t require medical records for your pet to be eligible for a policy
✘ Doesn’t have a website chat feature for customer service
✘ Caps annual coverage limits at $10,000
ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Plans and Coverage
- Complete Coverage Plan: For comprehensive coverage on both accidents and illnesses, ASPCA Pet Health Insurance offers the Complete Coverage Plan, which includes protection for injuries, illnesses, and other conditions such as hereditary conditions, chronic conditions, hip dysplasia, cancer, hypothyroidism, and more.
- Accident-Only Plan: It also offers the Accident-Only Plan for pet parents who want coverage for unexpected emergencies related to accidents and injuries like broken bones and cuts. Neither plan covers pre-existing conditions that arise before the policy’s coverage start date or during the 14-day waiting period.
- Basic Preventative Plan: ASPCA Pet Health Insurance offers the Basic Preventative Plan that covers $250 per year for routine care, such as deworming, a wellness exam, and two vaccines for a flat rate of $9.95 per month. You can also purchase the Prime Plan for $24.95 per month. This plan covers $450 per year for everything in the Basic Preventative Plan plus a few more preventative items like another vaccine, a health certificate, and a blood test.
Get a Free Quote: Visit the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance website to get an instant quote based on your New Jersey ZIP code and pet’s specific information.
Learn More: ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Review
What Is Pet Insurance?
Before diving into other important information about pet insurance in New Jersey, it’s important to understand the basics. Pet insurance differs substantially from other insurance policies, so we’ve created a brief video to help you further understand how these policies work.
How Much Is Pet Insurance in New Jersey?
Based on our research, standard accident and illness pet insurance policies in New Jersey typically cost an average of $20–$50 per month for dogs and $10–$30 per month for cats.
Here are a few factors that may affect your monthly pet insurance premium:
- Breed: One of the biggest factors that can affect your monthly premium is the breed of your dog or cat. Some breeds are more prone to diseases and illnesses and, therefore, are riskier for companies to insure, causing premium prices to be higher. For example, our quotes for a golden retriever were significantly higher than other breeds, since golden retrievers are prone to bacterial infections and other health issues.
- Age: Insuring your pet at an older age can cost more, since older pets are prone to illnesses and accidents, but most companies won’t increase your insurance rate just because of your pet’s age. Signing up for a pet insurance policy when your pet is young can prevent rates from increasing as your pet gets older.
- Location: Your ZIP code may affect your premiums, so getting multiple quotes in your area is the best way to compare rates.
- Customization: Making certain selections on your policy’s annual coverage limits, reimbursement rates, and deductibles can help decrease your premiums. For example, a policy with a low annual limit, high deductible of $1,000, and 70% reimbursement rate offers the cheapest premium. However, these choices can ultimately result in higher out-of-pocket costs during a claim.
- Discounts: Many companies, such as Embrace and Pumpkin, offer 5%–10% off your premium for adding multiple pets to your policy. Embrace also has a military discount to help decrease premiums for active service members. Additionally, Lemonade has a 10% discount for any homeowners who bundle their pet insurance with a Lemonade home insurance policy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Compare Top Pet Insurance Brands in NJ
We recommend getting quotes from a few of these providers to compare prices since premiums vary depending on your ZIP code and animal’s specific details, such as breed, size, and age.
|Spot||Most Customizable Plans|
|ASPCA||Best for New Pet Owners|
|Fetch by the Dodo||Best Holistic Coverage|
|Healthy Paws||Best Coverage Limit|
|Prudent Pet||Most Comprehensive Plan|
|Figo||Best Extra Coverage Add-On|
|Pumpkin||Best for Dental Coverage|
Whether you love taking your dog for a stroll in Jersey City or you enjoy the company of your cat indoors, knowing that your pet will receive immediate treatment in the event of an emergency with a pet insurance plan can provide peace of mind.
Lemonade, Spot, Embrace, Fetch, Healthy Paws, ASPCA and Figo all offer excellent pet insurance policies in New Jersey.
We ultimately recommend getting custom quotes from at least three of these providers to compare their coverage offerings and plan pricing.
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews team is dedicated to thorough, in-depth reviews of each product or service that we detail in our content. Determined to build trust with our readers through transparency, accuracy, and accountability, we’ve built a detailed rating system to score pet insurance brands. Included in this methodology are the following six factors with their respective scoring weights:
- Coverage (25)
- Plan options (20)
- Monthly cost (20)
- Company reputation (15)
- Customer service (10)
- Species eligibility (10)
Our researchers keep all data in each company’s score up to date, making any changes to our content when necessary to provide our readers with the most accurate information on relevant metrics, such as plan options, customer service, reputation, and monthly cost.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at email@example.com.