In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook shares tips for saving energy.
- Plant deciduous trees to block sun and keep house cooler in summer.
- Build a pergola or shade arbor to shield home from sun. Or, install awnings.
- Install window air-conditioning units on north side of house.
- Shade central air-conditioning units with shrubs.
- Close doors leading to room with fireplace, and crack a window in the room.
- Install a damper to top of chimney.
- Close damper when not using the fireplace to prevent warm room air from escaping.