In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey explains how to get air conditioning where window units aren’t practical.
Steps for Installing a Portable Air Conditioner
- If there’s no existing wall vent, use a jigsaw to cut a 4-inch-diameter hole through an exterior wall.
- Apply silicone caulk to the rear flange on wall vent.
- From outside, slide wall vent through hole in wall; secure with stainless steel screws.
- Twist and lock the flexible duct to the exhaust port on rear of air conditioner unit.
- Connect the duct end to the wall vent and seal with foil duct tape.
- Plug air conditioner unit into an electrical outlet.
- Turn on unit, then set thermostat and, if desired, the automatic timer.