In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey installs a device that will heat a pool with the heat produced by an air conditioner.
Steps for Heating a Swimming Pool with an Air Conditioner
- Turn off the power to the pool filter.
- Use a PVC saw to cut out a section of plastic pipe leading from the pool filter.
- Thread an adapter into a T-fitting, then insert a sensor well into the adapter.
- Cut and dry-assemble the PVC pipe and fittings to connect the pool filter to the heat exchanger, and from the heat exchanger to the water pipe leading back to the pool.
- Once you’re satisfied with the fit of all the parts, glue the pipe and fittings together with PVC primer and cement.
- Connect the pipe ends to the heat exchanger using threaded unions, not PVC cement.
- Hire a licensed refrigeration technician to connect the air-conditioner refrigerant lines to the refrigerant lines on the heat exchanger.
- Once the lines are connected and pressure-tested, the refrigerant lines must be recharged.
- Hire a licensed electrician to install the master controller to the exterior wall of the house. The controller acts as an interface between the pool pump, heat exchanger, and air conditioner.
- Turn the power back on.