Steps for Converting Radiators to Multi-Zone Heating
- Apply pipe dope to threads of the riser pipe and thread it into the radiator pipe. Tighten the connection with pipe wrenches.
- Trim the end of PEX tubing with a cutter, then use a calibration tool to ensure cut end is clean and perfectly round.
- Slide the compression sleeve onto the end of the tubing, then push the tubing onto the fitting at bottom of the supply riser.
- Use a compression tool to crimp the compression sleeve onto the fitting, forming a watertight joint.
- Attach another length of PEX tubing to the opposite end of the radiator to serve as the return tubing. Run two lengths of tubing—one supply, one return—from each radiator.
- Mount the manifolds to the wall near the hot water tank.
- Connect the tubing ends (supply and return) to the manifolds.
- Run piping from the manifolds to the hot-water tank.