In this how-to video, This Old House plumbing and heating contractor Richard Trethewey prevents trapped air from stopping a heating system cold in its tracks.
Installing an Air Valve for Hot Water Heating Systems
- Turn off the water leading to the boiler.
- Mark the pipe for cutting, which allows the installation of the air valve.
- Use a reciprocating saw to cut out a section of pipe.
- Install copper threaded adapters to each side of the air valve.
- Solder the air valve to the pipe.
- Turn the water back on.
- Switch on the circulator pump to allow trapped air to escape through the valve.