1 out of 5EasyIt takes a little patience to remove the wooden stops without breaking them, but installing the new glass pane is easy.
1 to 2 hours, depending on size pane being replaced
In this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva explains how to replace glass in a door.
Door Glass Replacement in 9 Steps
- Measure the broken door pane for a new piece of glass.
- Use a stiff-blade putty knife to pry the wooden stops from around the broken pane.
- Carefully remove the broken pane from the door.
- Scrape away the old glazing compound from the windowpane opening.
- Lay a thick bead of glazing compound around pane opening.
- Press the glass into the compound, then secure it with glazing points.
- Reattach the wooden stops with wire brads.
- Use nailset and hammer to tap brads below the wood’s surface.
- Scrape away any excess glazing compound.
Tools & Materials