In this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva explains how to repair sliding wood closet doors.
How to repair sliding wood closet doors
- Remove the doors from the closet opening.
- Pry tacks from groove in bottom of door.
- Cut oak wear strips to fit into groove in door bottom.
- Sand rail along threshold of doorway.
- Sand top and bottom of door with 100-git sandpaper.
- Glue oak wear strips into groove along bottom of door.
- Lubricate all wood-to-wood sliding surfaces along top and bottom of door.
- Replace doors and check to ensure they slide smoothly.