In this video, Ask This Old House host Kevin O'Connor shows a homeowner how to install a Bluetooth-enabled smart-lock dead bolt for his front door.
Steps for Installing an Electric Deadbolt:
1. Unscrew current dead-bolt plate using a screwdriver.
2. Remove the plate.
3. Unscrew back plate of the dead bolt using a screwdriver.
4. Match back plates from the kit to the current back plate.
5. Using the new back plate, insert screws into the dead-bolt mechanism and secure it using a screwdriver.
6. Match the adapter piece from the kit to correspond with the current lock, insert it into the smart lock.
7. Install the smart lock onto the back plate and clamp it down.
8. Download the corresponding app to your smartphone.
9. Add the lock to your smartphone.
10. Follow the calibration steps on your smartphone.