3 out of 5Moderate
Steps for installing a storm door with a dog door
- Measure the door where the storm door will go and be sure to get the right size. In this case, the door is 80″ x 36.”
- Measure to ensure the door is square before you install the storm door. Use the 3-4-5 method to help. The jamb is three feet wide at the top. Use a tape measure to measure down 4 feet. Hold the tape measure at that point and measure at an angle to the top of the jamb. If the measurement is 5 feet, the door jamb is square.
- The hinge can go on either side, but conventionally the hinge will match the hinge on the current door.
- Match up the primer hole in the hinge to the hole in the storm door. Use a drill/driver to fasten the first screw in along the hinge.
- The rest of the holes will need to be drilled first. Use a 1/8″ drill bit on a drill/driver to make the holes. Use drill/driver to fasten the remainder of the screws along the hinge.
- To attach the hinge to the door jamb, push the storm door up flush with the frame and drop it just a touch. Then drill one screw in the middle to fasten the hinge on the outside of the frame and a second on the inside of the jamb.
- Close the storm door and check to see if it fits.
- Finish off the screws on the interior of the hinge jamb using a drill/driver.
- Extend the extension piece at the base of the storm door to ensure it is flush with the threshold.
- Drill in the remainder of the screws on the exterior of the hinge jamb into the casing.
- Run a thin bead of caulk along the drip cap for the storm door.
- Place the drip cap along the top of the storm door and push it flush to the casing.
- Move the drip cap up just slightly to create an even gap along the top of the storm door.
- Use a drill/driver to fasten screws along the drip cap.
- Run a bead of caulking across the top of the drip cap following installation as an added weather barrier.
- Line up the striker side of the storm door jamb to the casing and use a drill/driver to fasten in the screws.
- Line up the hardware so it will not butt up against current hardware on the current door.
- Line up the template with predetermined placement of hardware. Use a 3/8″ drill bit to bore out the center hole for the hardware using a drill/driver. Use a 1/8″ drill bit for the two remaining holes.
- Attach the hardware using screws and drill/driver.
- Line up the latch on the jamb to the hardware and use screws and drill/driver to fasten.
- Attach the compressor to either the top or the bottom of the door. Use a drill/driver to fasten the hook to the jamb.
- Use a 3/32″ drill bit to bore out holes in the base or top of the door. Use these holes to attach the compressor to the storm door with a drill/driver and screws.
- Install the adjustable sweep at the bottom to keep drafts out.