1 out of 5Easy
Tools & Materials
- Place the hole saw jig on the door. Position it three feet off the ground. Set the backset measurement to either 2 3/8″ or 2 ¾”, depending on the style of the door and personal preference.
- Use a drill/driver with the 2 1/8″ hole saw to bore a hole through the door. Once the center bit is through the door, stop. Bring the hole saw the other side of the door and finish the bore.
- Use the 1″ hole saw to bore a hole through the edge of the door to create an area for the latch.
- To make room for the latch plate, place the latch plate on the edge of the door and draw an outline. Use a chisel to remove the wood inside the outline. Seat the latch plate into the edge to make sure it fits properly.
- With the latch plate seated, install it using screws and a screwdriver.
- Install the door knobs to the front and the back of the door. Line up both pieces and attach them through the latch. Use screws and a screwdriver to fix them in place.
- If necessary, mortise out the jamb for the striker plate. Outline the plate and line it up with the striker. Use a chisel to mortise the outline.
- Use screws and a screwdriver to attach the striker plate.