In this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva explains how to replace an interior door.
Steps for Installing an Interior Door
- Close old door and measure up 12 inches from threshold and mark the door.
- Pull hinge pins and take down old door.
- Unscrew the lockset from old door.
- Lay old door on top of new door; keep tops and hinge edges flush.
- Find 12-inch marks on old door and measure down 11¾ inch; mark new door.
- Transfer hinge and lockset locations from old door to edge of new door using a combination square.
- Cut hinge mortises using hammer and chisel.
- Screw hinges into mortises on door edge; pull pins to separate hinge leaves.
- Cut door to height using circular saw and straightedge.
- Screw remaining hinge leaves to mortises in doorjamb, inserting shims if necessary to make hinges flush.
- Screw hole-boring template to door for drilling out the lockset holes.
- Bore the doorknob hole through the face of door using a 2⅛-inch hole saw.
- Use a 1-inch hole saw to bore latch hole in door edge.
- Use hammer and chisel to cut a shallow mortise for the latch.
- Install new lockset.
- Hang door with hinge pins and check swing and closure.
- Remove door, prime top and bottom to block out moisture, then paint.