2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Unknown insulation in walls


We replaced the roof on our house last summer, and ruined the ceilings (floating ceilings anyone?). As a result, we are now in the process of gutting the upstairs and replacing the ruined plaster and lathe walls and ceilings with drywall. We have found a strange type of insulation in the spaces around the windows (no insulation anywhere else in the walls). It looks like polished wood but is very lightweight like styrofoam. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? We want to dispose of it properly. Any help is greatly appreciated.


Re: Unknown insulation in walls

I don't believe vermiculite should be a problem it is used regularly in potting soil as a moisture retainer.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.