4 posts / 0 new
Last post
shutn off valve

Iam remodeling my bathroom and I would like to replace the shut off valves to the toilet and the sink. There appears to be a nut at the end but Iam not sure how to get the old one off.

Re: shutn off valve

can you post a picture of the valves you're talking about?

Re: shutn off valve

Generally there are two types of shutoffs in common use. One is soldered to the supply line and has a compression connection to the line to the toilet or lavatory sink. The other has a compression connection on both ends. The soldered type would have to be unsoldered the compression type you remove the nut on the supply side. Sometimes the compression ring can be slid off sometimes it requires cutting the end of the supply line off. Make sure the water is off and the pressure is released before working on it.

A. Spruce
Re: shutn off valve

My suspicion is that you're referring to a compression style angle stop. With a compression fitting, there is a nut, a brass ring, and the angle stop (valve ). The nut crushes the ring against the pipe as the nut is tightened to the angle stop. I personally don't like this style of fitting as it's difficult for the average DIY'r to change out without leaks and problems. That is not to say that you can't change it, it just takes a little effort. The easiest way to change a compression angle stop is to turn off the water main, remove the angle stop valve and leave behind the ring and nut. Take the angle stop to the hardware store and match up the threads to a new unit, negating the need to remove the existing nut and ring.

The next best thing is that there's enough pipe hanging out of the wall to convert the compression fitting to a standard threaded nipple (my preference ). With a threaded nipple you will be able to change the angle stop with ease at any point in the future without problems.

Sticking with a compression fitting, you'll either need to cut or split the existing ring off the pipe stub. Cutting back the supply stub would be better if there's enough pipe stub to install a new fitting. Barring that, you'll have to remove the existing ring and nut so that the new nut and ring can be installed and tightened to a point to prevent leakage.

Again, if you can convert to a threaded nipple, you're better off in the long run. Also, if you can convert to a ball valve type angle stop you'll likely never have to deal with these valves again.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.