Home>Discussions>EXTERIORS>Is this a buried oil tank vent pipe?
11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Adduong
Is this a buried oil tank vent pipe?
Adduong

Hey all,

My wife and I just bought an older house. Thoughts?

Jack
Re: Is this a buried oil tank vent pipe?
Jack

Picture is not very clear, but it looks more like a well casing to me.

Jack

Adduong
Re: Is this a buried oil tank vent pipe?
Adduong
JLMCDANIEL wrote:

Picture is not very clear, but it looks more like a well casing to me.

Jack

This may be a dumb question - but what kind of well do you think? (water?)

It's by the garage, and a fence has now been built over it. The entire visible square structure is no larger than approx 1 ft x 1 ft...

Jack
Re: Is this a buried oil tank vent pipe?
Jack

Yes a water well. Try dropping a line down in it.

Jack

Adduong
Re: Is this a buried oil tank vent pipe?
Adduong
JLMCDANIEL wrote:

Yes a water well. Try dropping a line down in it.

Jack

It's all filled in with dirt.

Jack
Re: Is this a buried oil tank vent pipe?
Jack

Probably abandoned when city water or a new well was dug. They are suppose to be filled in when abandoned. What is the diameter of the pipe?

Jack

Adduong
Re: Is this a buried oil tank vent pipe?
Adduong
JLMCDANIEL wrote:

Probably abandoned when city water or a new well was dug. They are suppose to be filled in when abandoned. What is the diameter of the pipe?

Jack

Not very big - the opening entire square cement structure is about 1 x 1 ft....

Fencepost
Re: Is this a buried oil tank vent pipe?
Fencepost

The filler pipe for an oil tank will usually have a cap of some sort. The vent pipe would also have some kind of cap or gooseneck to keep rain from entering.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but this looks far too open to be a fuel tank.

Adduong
Re: Is this a buried oil tank vent pipe?
Adduong
Fencepost wrote:

The filler pipe for an oil tank will usually have a cap of some sort. The vent pipe would also have some kind of cap or gooseneck to keep rain from entering.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but this looks far too open to be a fuel tank.

Thanks! Feel a lot better now

Jack
Re: Is this a buried oil tank vent pipe?
Jack

If the box is about a foot square, I'm guessing the pipe is 6 or 7 inches in diameter which is to large for a fill or vent pipe. That is the size used for well casings.

Jack
.

Adduong
Re: Is this a buried oil tank vent pipe?
Adduong
JLMCDANIEL wrote:

If the box is about a foot square, I'm guessing the pipe is 6 or 7 inches in diameter which is to large for a fill or vent pipe. That is the size used for well casings.

Jack
.

Thanks Jack. Appreciate your insights.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.