Home>Discussions>INSULATION & HVAC>1901 insulation from clapboard exterior
5 posts / 0 new
Last post
this1901house
1901 insulation from clapboard exterior
this1901house

My 1901 house has clapboard with antique paper or felt barrier and blown-in insulation. I need to repair some clapboard and may decide to re-insulate and wrap from the outside. The walls are 2X4. I am having trouble finding unfaced insulation (maybe R13 15in unfaced rolls) unfaced since I am working from the outside. Is this available somewhere? Thanks.

keith3267
Re: 1901 insulation from clapboard exterior
keith3267

I'm sure it is, but I wouldn't use it. Use the kraft paper backed insulation and fold the wings down the side of the insulation so that the insulation pushes the wings against the stud faces. Push the insulation all the way in so any gap is toward the exterior. That will vent the insulation better and keep it drier. If someday in the future, you take down the interior side sheathing, you can pull the wings out and staple them over the ends of the studs like they should be.

dj1
dj1

You should have kraft paper - on the interior side.

Sombreuil_mongrel
Sombreuil_mongrel

Hi,
You can buy Roxul (a brand of rockwool in batts) and use that; it's way better than fiberglass in old houses because it deters varmints; mice and snakes keep away from it, but love to tunnel in FG.
Casey

keith3267
keith3267
dj1 wrote:

You should have kraft paper - on the interior side.

My bad, I meant that too, but I assumed everyone knew that. Paper side in, wings folded down the side so the insulation holds the paper against the studs. Then if the interior side of the wall is removed, the wings can be pulled out and stapled over the ends of the studs properly.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.