In this how-to video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva breathes new life into a weather-beaten wood deck.
Cleaning and restaining a deck
- In the backpack pump sprayer, mix a one-to-one ratio of biodegradable wood cleaner to water.
- Use a garden hose to wet down the entire deck.
- Spray the wood cleaner solution onto the deck and railings, then wait 10 minutes.
- Scrub the wood surface with a stiff-bristle brush to remove loosened dirt and grime.
- Rinse the deck clean with a garden hose.
- In a bucket, pour one part borate (in this case, Tom used Bora-Care) and five parts of water, and mix well using a cordless drill fitted with a paint-mixing paddle.
- Pour the borate solution into the pump sprayer and apply it to the deck and railings to kill algae.
- Let the deck dry for two or three days.
- Mix one gallon of oil-based deck stain with ½ pint of exterior-grade varnish.
- Apply two stain coats with a sponge applicator.
- Come the following spring, apply a final coat of stain.