In this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva explains how to repair a plaster ceiling.
- Screw plaster washers to ceiling along and around cracked area; be sure to drive screws into wood lath above.
- Use trowel to spread joint compound onto ceiling, covering the repaired area.
- Press insect screen into wet compound; smooth flat with trowel.
- Allow joint compound to dry at least 24 hours.
- Sand away high spots and ridges with 100-grit sandpaper; fill low spots with joint compound.
- Apply another thin coat of compound, if necessary, let dry and sand smooth again.
- Once repair is complete, apply one coat of primer followed by two topcoats of paint.