In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey changes a shower valve.
How to Replace Single Handle Shower Faucet
- Turn off the water to the shower.
- Remove handle and escutcheon plate to expose shower valve.
- Loosen locking nut with pliers and pull old cartridge from center of valve.
- Put new rubber seat with spring onto end of pencil and push into the valve. Repeat for remaining seat.
- Insert the new cartridge into the existing valve.
- Slip the O-ring over the cartridge, then tighten the locknut with pliers.
- Press the new escutcheon plate over the valve and secure it with the screws provided.
- Attach the new handle to the valve.
- Turn on the water and adjust the temperature to 120 degrees F.
- Install the temperature limit stop to the valve to prevent scalding.