1 out of 5Easystapling up the deer netting is a piece of cake, but pounding in the wooden stakes can be difficult
$15-$25 for a roll of deer netting, $5-$15 for a wooden stake
1 to 2 hours to protect up to four closely spaced trees
In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook shows how to keep deer at bay.
How to Deer-Proof Small Trees and Shrubs
- Use hand pruners to trim the branches on the upper portion of the tree.
- Drive wooden stakes into the ground around the tree using a manual post pounder. Space the stakes 4 to 6 feet apart.
- Wrap the deer netting around the wooden stakes, securing it to the stakes at the very top and bottom with ½-inch staples.
- Hold the netting to each post with three or four cable ties.
- Drive in one staple at each cable tie to prevent the ties from shifting out of position.