In this video, a professional beekeeper shows Roger Cook and a homeowner how to harvest honey from a beehive. He also explains how to keep a hive healthy and ways to maintain and grow your hive.
Steps for Harvesting Honey from a Beehive
- Wear your protective beekeeping suit.
- Remove the outer and inner tops of the beehive.
- Use the smoker to add some smoke to the hive to calm the bees.
- Use the hive tool to remove an upper frame and check the bees.
- Remove the upper (or Super) bee box to expose the lower frames.
- Remove a lower frame and check the brood for hive health.
- Replace the Super bee box and remove the waxy-looking (Honey) frame.
- Use the bee brush to gently brush the bees off that frame and back into the hive.
- Place the honey frame onto a tray and move to an indoor space.
- Replace the inner and outer tops of the beehive.
- Spoon the beeswax and honey into a strainer and allow the honey to separate through the strainer into a bowl for 2-3 days.
- If you want to use a Honey Extractor, remove the capping from the frame(s)
- Place the frames into the extractor and spin the honey out.
- Continually monitor the honey bee’s health in your hive, check for hive beetles, remove diseased parts, keep cover on for warmth, and don’t over harvest the honey.