There are many ways you can make it easier to pick up fallen leaves from your yard. In this video, you’ll learn when to use which tool depending on the size of your yard, how to pick up leaves with a tarp, and some tips for bagging up leaves for disposal.
Best Ways to Pick Up Leaves
- Use leaf rake to rake leaves into a pile.
- Rake leaves onto a plastic tarp, then drag the leaves over to the compost pile.
- If collecting leaves for town pick up, dump the leaves into a paper bag. Use a cardboard collar to hold the bag open.
- Use portable leaf blower to corral leaves into a pile. This type of tool is best for clearing small yards, driveways, patios and walkways.
- For medium-size yards, use a walk-behind, gas-powered leaf blower.
- Use a walk-behind power vacuum to collect and shred leaves. When the collection bag is full, dump the leaves into the compost pile.
- A heavy-duty leaf vacuum attaches to a riding lawnmower and has an impeller that grinds up leaves, reducing them to a 10-to-1 ratio.
What Happens If You Don’t Pick Up Leaves?
If you don’t pick up fallen leaves, they could end up harming the grass and killing the yard. So it’s important to clean up the yard regularly, especially in the fall.