In This Review: Our Take on AmeriFreight: Best for Discounts | AmeriFreight Pros and Cons | AmeriFreight Car Shipping Cost | AmeriFreight Auto Transport Services | AmeriFreight Process | AmeriFreight Reviews | Our Conclusion | Other Recommendations for Auto Shipping | Additional Things to Consider When You Move | FAQs
When you’re moving to a new home, shipping your car may help keep your move efficient and cost-effective. You’ll want a reputable shipper to transport your vehicle to your new place, just like how you want the best moving company for your household items. Amerifreight could be a good option for finding a carrier to help you in your move.
In this article, the This Old House Reviews Team looks at AmeriFrieght reviews, shipping costs, and services to help determine whether the auto transport company is the right choice for your relocation needs. We’ve researched the industry’s best car shipping companies and recommend getting quotes from our top-rated providers.
Our Take on AmeriFreight: Best for Discounts
Based in Peachtree City, Georgia, AmeriFreight has been shipping cars around the country for almost 20 years. The auto shipping broker works with strictly vetted car carriers, earning positive reviews from customers who praise the drivers’ care and reliability.
Beyond ensuring that each driver it works with carries cargo insurance, AmeriFreight offers its own gap protection to make sure you won’t have to pay for any damage that happens during shipping. This extra peace of mind allows you to focus on other parts of the moving process, such as decluttering and packing.
AmeriFreight is committed to making your shipping experience as affordable as possible, which is also beneficial for your relocation. The company offers price matching if its quote is higher than any other shipping company that holds an A+ from the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
The company also has a number of discount opportunities for members of the military, senior citizens, students, and more. Because of this, we named AmeriFreight Best for Discounts.
AmeriFreight Pros and Cons
In our AmeriFreight review, we found the following pros and cons of working with the company:
✔ Many discounts available
✔ Strict carrier vetting process
✔ Optional gap coverage
✘ No guaranteed pricing
✘ No GPS tracking
✘ Higher initial quotes than some providers
AmeriFreight Car Shipping Cost
It’s important to know how much your auto transport might cost so that you can create an accurate budget for your move. To get a sense of what it costs to ship a car with AmeriFreight, we requested car shipping quotes from the company’s online rate calculator. The quotes below are for an operable 2018 Honda CR-V.
|Pickup Location||Delivery Location||Distance||Transport Type||Cost|
|Virginia Beach, Va.||Atlanta||520 miles||Open transport||$718|
|Denver||Washington, D.C.||1,489 miles||Open transport||$1,104|
|Denver||Washington, D.C.||1,489 miles||Enclosed transport||$1,988|
|Las Vegas||Miami||2,566 miles||Open transport||$1,104|
To save money on your move, you might opt for a cheap moving company. But it’s also important to look for discounts from car shipping companies to keep costs down. AmeriFreight offers several discount opportunities, including:
- Active-duty military: $35 off
- First responders: $35 off
- Medical personnel: $35 off
- Early bird: $35 off if you sign up within 48 hours of getting a quote
- Students: $25 off
- Senior citizens: $25 off
- Return customers: $50 off
- Multiple vehicles: $50 off every additional vehicle
There are different requirements to meet for each discount, so consult AmeriFreight’s website or your shipping agent to learn how to qualify. The early bird discount is the only one that can be combined with another discount.
To keep its car shipping rates competitive, AmeriFreight offers customers limited price matching. The company pledges to match a quote from any shipping company with an A+ rating from the BBB and above-average customer reviews.
What Affects Car Shipping Costs?
When getting car shipping quotes online, keep in mind that several factors affect how much auto transport costs. These factors include:
- Vehicle size and weight: Larger and heavier cars like trucks and SUVs cost more to ship.
- Transport type: Open carrier shipping is more affordable, but it leaves your car exposed to the elements. Enclosed carrier shipping is more expensive but offers greater protection.
- Fuel costs: Car shipping costs fluctuate with the price of fuel.
- Time of year: Demand for car shipping services increases during the summer and January, making auto transport more expensive during these times.
- Vehicle operability: Inoperable cars require more time and resources to load onto carriers.
- Shipping distance: While shorter-distance shipments cost more per mile, long-distance shipments cost more overall.
AmeriFreight Auto Transport Services
Before deciding on an auto transport company, you should know what services it offers. That way, you can be sure it can ship your vehicle to your new home.
AmeriFreight offers shipping services for the following types of vehicles:
- Alternative vehicles such as RVs and ATVs
You can opt for open carrier transport, which is the cheapest and most popular way to ship a car, or you can pay more for the added protection of enclosed carrier shipping.
Here are some of the other services AmeriFreight offers:
- Door-to-door shipping
- Terminal-to-terminal shipping
- Shipping to Hawaii and Alaska
- Cross-country shipping
- Luxury and classic car shipping
- Expedited transport
AmeriFreight only works with fully vetted trucking partners, ensuring they are licensed with the Department of Transportation and carry full cargo insurance policies.
Also, AmeriFreight offers guaranteed asset protection, or gap coverage, to help cover damage a carrier’s insurance won’t. The company’s plan, AF Total Assurance (AFta), will pay up to $2,000 for damage that happens during parking and storage, offering greater peace of mind.
If this is your first time shipping a car, it’s important to know how the process works so you can know what to expect from this aspect of your move. Here’s how the car shipping process works with AmeriFreight:
- Use the online quote tool at AmeriFreight.net to request a free quote for car shipping services.
- After receiving your quote, call AmeriFreight to confirm.
- After you confirm the rate, you’ll book a carrier and pay a deposit.
- Your carrier will call you 12 to 24 hours before pickup to confirm the location and time.
- Your carrier will meet you at the pickup location, you’ll inspect your car for existing damage, and then you’ll sign a bill of lading.
- You’ll get a call 12 to 24 hours before delivery to coordinate the drop-off location and time.
- The carrier will bring your vehicle to the delivery location, and you will once again inspect your car and sign a bill of lading to complete the job.
- Pay the carrier the remaining balance in cash, cashier’s check, or money order.
To avoid expedited shipping costs or sudden price jumps, it’s best to book your shipment at least two weeks before your desired pickup date.
AmeriFreight reviews are very positive. The company has an A+ rating and accreditation from the BBB. Over 1,000 customer reviews on the BBB’s website rate the car shipper an average of 4.9 out of 5.0 stars. AmeriFreight has closed only 13 complaints through the BBB in the past three years.
Positive AmeriFreight Reviews
Positive AmeriFreight reviews usually cite the company’s transparent process and reliable service.
“[The] team was amazing throughout the entire process. Very informative with all fees and how the process works. Once we located the carrier we decided to use, he kept direct contact with us about his arrival before and during the trip. Definitely recommended!”
– Brandi via Google
“Honest, fast, reliable, and professional service! This was my first experience transferring a vehicle, and I will definitely use this service again if I need to transfer my vehicle.”
– Autumn via BBB
Negative AmeriFreight Reviews
While most reviews are positive, even the best companies may have negative reviews. Customers dissatisfied with AmeriFreight cited poor communication and inexplicably delayed services.
“AmeriFreight failed to find a transporter to move my vehicle … I contacted three highly rated brokers to move my subcompact car from Michigan to Oregon during the winter. [I] selected AmeriFreight but [was] disappointed. Gave them a month’s notice with a five-day window. Communication was weak.”
– Robert L. via BBB
“Very disappointed with the service I received. Had my vehicle transported from Houston to Portland. The quote came in about 200 more, which was expected. [H]owever, the driver never commented on the delay or confirmed drop-off time … I finally received my vehicle two days late.”
– C. via Google
If you’re looking for cheap car shipping, AmeriFreight can be a good option. Aside from its many discount opportunities, the company offers price matching. If you receive a lower quote from another shipping company with an A+ rating from the BBB, AmeriFreight will match it. The company offers open and enclosed shipping to all 50 states, as well as door-to-door and terminal-to-terminal delivery.
Other Recommendations for Auto Shipping
When you’re deciding which transport company is best for your needs, we recommend comparing car shipping quotes. We reviewed the transport industry’s best car shipping companies by examining costs, service options, and customer reviews. Along with AmeriFreight, Montway Auto Transport and Sherpa Auto Transport ranked as some of the top providers.
Montway Auto Transport: Best Shipping Company
Montway Auto Transport works with over 15,000 carriers. The auto transport broker offers shipping services to and from anywhere in the United States, including Alaska and Hawaii. Montway holds an A+ rating from the BBB, as well as a 4.6-star rating average based on more than 2,200 customer reviews on the site.
Read more in our full Montway Auto Transport review.
Sherpa Auto Transport: Best for Locked-In Rates
Sherpa Auto Transport’s Price Lock Promise means your quoted price will be your final price. The auto shipper offers a wide array of car shipping services to the Lower 48 states, including options for high-end vehicles and classic cars.
Sherpa Auto Transport has a great reputation with the auto shipping industry and customers alike. The company holds an A+ rating from the BBB and an average customer rating of 4.9 stars on the website
Discover more about the company in our complete Sherpa Auto Transport review.
Additional Things to Consider When You Move
Having your car shipped to your new home instead of driving it yourself could save you a lot of time and energy you’ll need to plan other aspects of your move. That’s why it’s important to know all the considerations involved in moving before you’re too far into the process.
Here are some additional factors to keep in mind when you’re relocating:
- Setting a budget
- Saving for unexpected costs
- Planning a timeline
- Researching your new home and surrounding areas
- Getting packing materials
- Deciding between hiring movers or doing it yourself
- Renting a moving truck or moving container
- Preparing your children for the move
- Asking friends and family for help
- Planning pet care for before, during, and after the move
- Completing administrative tasks such as a change of address before your move
Of course, these are just some of the things you need to think about when you’re moving. Read our full guide to ensure you’re prepared to take the next steps in moving to your new home.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparent reviews and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. Our rating system for auto shipping service providers is based on four categories:
- Price (30% of total score): Many factors affect car transport rates. To determine our price score, we secret shop with providers across a variety of cars and routes.
- Services (25% of total score): Our team of experts looks at available services, guaranteed pickup and drop-off dates, and insurance coverage.
- Industry Standing (20% of total score): Providers with a high rating from the BBB score best in this category. Reputable providers with a history of reliable service and timeliness also receive strong marks.
- Customer Experience (25% of total score): We learn about consumer experiences by reading through reviews on sites including the BBB. Auto shipping companies with a low volume of complaints score highest in this area.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.