In this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva explains how to repair a baluster.
Steps for Repairing a Baluster
1. Set one-half of busted baluster in routing jig.
2. Use a plunge router to cut a 3/8-inch-diameter by 1 ½-inch-deep dowel hole into the broken end of the baluster.
3. Remove the first half of the baluster from the jig, insert the second half and rout the mating dowel hole.
4. Squeeze glue into the holes in the balusters.
5. Insert the hardwood dowel halfway into one of the holes.
6. Push the baluster halves tightly together, making sure the parts are properly aligned.
7. Install baluster in staircase balustrade, and secure it with 8d finishing nails.
See products and services from this episode
Tools and Materials: