Tools & Materials
In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook explains how to lay a gravel path.
DIY Gravel Walkway Steps:
1. Lay out garden hoses to represent the shape of the 3-foot-wide path.
2. Use shovel and edger to cut alongside the hoses to mark the walkway onto the ground; remove hoses when done.
3. Dig out 4 to 6 inches of topsoil from within the pathway area.
4. Cut any roots you encounter with loppers.
5. Install steel edging along the edges of path; tap in spikes to secure the edging.
6. Cut slots into 2×4 spreaders to span the path and hold the steel edging in position.
7. Line the excavated pathway with landscape fabric.
8. Cover the landscape fabric with 4 to 6 inches of pea gravel.
9. Smooth the gravel with a garden rake.