If a rodent found a way into your house it’s time to take action. There are several manufactured traps to help catch and kill mice that sneak into a home. We compare five types of mouse traps so you can decide which one to use.
How to Set Up a Mouse Trap
Metal Pedal Mouse Trap
One of the oldest but most effective traps is the metal pedal mouse trap. To set a metal pedal mouse trap:
- Pull back the metal arm and place peanut butter on the metal pedal with a toothpick or a knife. You do not want human scent on the trap.
- Pull the kill bar back and latch the metal arm bar into the metal pedal.
- Place the trap perpendicular to the wall where mouse activity has been seen.
Kill and Contain Mouse Trap
The kill-and-contain mouse trap is very similar to the metal pedal, but the trap is surrounded by a container. To set it up:
- Place peanut butter in the bait cup and close it.
- Pull the trap set level and place it parallel to the base of the wall.
- When the mouse is killed, the mouse is not seen and the trap is thrown out.
Plastic Mouse Trap
There is a plastic version of the metal pedal mouse trap that is equally as effective. To set this type of trap simply press down on the spring-activated lever and place peanut butter in the bait area. The lever will clamp down on the mouse and kill it.
Electronic Mouse Trap
An electronic mouse trap is battery-powered and can be set along the wall. When the mouse enters the trap, it receives an electric shock powerful enough to kill it.
Live Animal Cage
A live animal cage allows homeowners to lure mice into a cage with food. Instead of killing the animal, however, it just traps the mouse. You can then get rid of the mouse as you see fit.
Tips for Avoiding Mice
- To avoid mice in a home, be sure to close any cracks or gaps in the exterior of the house.
- Use a foam sealant in a crack, cover it with wire cloth and add another layer of sealant. This should form a solid barrier from pests.
- Smaller gaps can also be covered with steel wool. Mice have a tough time eating through this material.
- To ward off mice, use a repellent. There are a number of repellents available that give off a smell mice do not like.