1 out of 5Easy
$60 and up
Steps for Painting a Vinyl Garage Door:
- Start by cleaning the garage door with a cleaning solution of water and a small amount of a cleaning detergent.
- Scrub the door clean and then hose it down with water. Allow the door to dry before moving on.
- Protect the surrounding area with painter’s tape and drop cloths. The drop cloth will prevent any paint from spilling onto the driveway, and the painter’s tape can be used to protect the rubber gasket along the edges of the garage door from getting covered in paint.
- Cut around any window panes using the angled brush.
- Roll the rest of the garage door with the roller. Mauro suggests not cutting/rolling the whole door all at once, as that might cause the paint to dry in areas where you haven’t finished painting yet.
- Allow the paint to dry for a few hours and then apply a second coat using the same techniques.
Products & Resources in this Video:
To clean the doors, Mauro used a solution of water and TSP liquid soap
To protect the rubber gasket on the garage door, Mauro taped them off using Frog Tape.
Mauro painted the door using Benjamin Moore Aura Semi-Gloss exterior rated paint in Van Deusen Blue. He applied the paint using a Wooster 3/8″ nap, 6 ½” long roller, and a Picasso 2 ½” angle cut brush.