In this video, lead paint abatement specialist Ron Peik shows the safe, proper way to dispose of lead paint.
Steps for Removing Lead Paint
- Use a paint scraper to remove the paint from the outside corners of baseboard.
- Collect the lead-paint dust using a special HEPA vacuum.
- Install new drywall over walls that contain lead.
- Remove doors and mantelpieces and bring to a commercial refinisher who has a dip tank for chemically stripping off the old paint.
- Use a hammer and pry bar to remove all moldings that will be replaced by new wood.
- After removing the moldings, use a HEPA vacuum to collect lead-paint dust.
- Insulate the voids around the windows and exterior doors prior to replacing the interior trim.
- Once all the lead paint has been removed, wash all surfaces in the entire room with a TSP solution.