Tools & Materials
In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating contractor Richard Trethewey shares his tips for properly setting up a new laundry room.
1. Remove transport bolts from rear of washing machine.
2. Check washing machine for level, adjusting the leveling legs, as needed.
3. Use braided stainless-steel hoses to make hot- and cold-water connections between washing machine and existing water-supply lines.
4. Connect the discharge hose to rear of washing machine.
5. Run the discharge hose to stand pipe; secure hose with cable tie.
6. Use threaded black steel pipe to connect clothes dryer to existing gas-supply pipe.
7. Use perforated metal strap to connect exhaust duct to rear of dryer.
8. Seal joints in exhaust duct with foil-faced duct tape.
9. Plug in and turn on the washer and dryer, and test installation.