Tools & Materials
In this video, learn about landscape edging with This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook.
1. Flexible plastic landscape edging is difficult to install, virtually impossible to keep straight, and highly susceptible to frost heave.
2. Cobblestone or brick edging is attractive, durable and relatively easy to install.
3. Cobblestone or brick edging can be laid flat or stood on end and backfilled with concrete.
4. Steel landscape edging installs easily in a shallow trench and is virtually undetectable.
5. Hold steel edging in place with steel stakes.
6. Use an edging tool to cut an air space between the lawn and planting bed.
7. As grass grows, it’ll hit the air space and not spread into the planting bed.