In this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva explains the wide world of spray-foam insulation.
Tips for Selecting and Using Foam Insulation
- Pick the appropriate foam insulation for the job at hand. Shake can well before applying.
- Use minimal-expanding Window-and-Door Foam to insulate around windows and doors.
- Apply the foam sparingly, allowing it to expand to fill the gaps.
- Use Gap-and-Crack Foam to fill spaces between the house foundation and mudsill.
- Spray foam insulation behind electrical boxes prior to insulating the walls with fiberglass batts.
- Use fire-block foam insulation to fill holes around pipes, electrical cables, and ducts.
- To insulate large areas, such as stud bays, use two-part polyurethane spray foam.