1 out of 5EasyThe hardest part is removing and replacing the window trim
About 1 hour per window
In this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva explains how to insulate a window with sash weights.
Steps for Insulating a Window with Sash Weights
- Use a hammer and pry bar to remove the molding from around the window.
- Cut a strip of foil-faced rigid foam insulation to fit snugly into the space between the side jamb and plaster or drywall.
- Spray some maximum-expanding polyurethane foam sealant into the space at the bottom and top of the window’s side jamb.
- Press the strip of foil-faced insulation into place alongside the side jamb, flush with the wall.
- Repeat the above procedure for the opposite side jamb.
- Cover the seam between rigid foam insulation and the wall with adhesive-backed foil tape.
- Plug the hole where the rope meets the pulley with a small strip of rubber carpet padding.
- Replace molding around the window.