In this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva demonstrates a cost-effective way to save energy.
Steps for Refreshing Cellulose Insulation
- Measure the depth of the existing blown-in insulation. If necessary, add more cellulose insulation.
- Dump cellulose insulation into each joist bay and spread it evenly with a leaf rake. Be sure the insulation is slightly above the top edge of the joists.
- Lay batts of un-faced, 9½-inch-thick fiberglass insulation perpendicularly across the joists.
- Cut the batts of insulation to fit tightly together.
- Continue to cover the attic with fiberglass batts, including any wood subfloor.
- Build a storage-platform frame out of 2x10s.
- Fill the interior of the platform frame with fiberglass insulation.
- Cover the platform with 7/16-inch oriented-strand board (OSB) or plywood.
- To create a walkway to the platform, cover the wood subfloor with pieces of 2-inch-thick polystyrene.