How to Waterproof a Basement
In this how-to video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva solves soggy basement problems
In this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva explains how to seal cracks in your foundation and other basement flooding problems.
1. Fill cracks and holes in concrete walls and floors with hydraulic cement.
2. Apply a coat of waterproof masonry cement to inside surface of basement walls.
3. Attach flexible extensions to ends of downspouts to carry water away from foundation.
4. Dig trench directly below downspout for 4-inch-diameter PVC pipe.
5. Connect downspout to PVC pipe.
6. Install a drywell at opposite end of pipe to catch and disperse rainwater.