How to Remove Overgrown Foundation Shrubs
Ask This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook helps a homeowner remove foundation shrubs that have overtaken the front of her house
- For plantings that have grown too large for the space, removal may be the best option, especially if the inside of the plant is full of deadwood.
- Before doing any landscape work, call the utility locating service to mark for any underground pipes or wires.
- When using a chainsaw, wear proper safety equipment including safety glasses, a face shield, hard hat, hearing protection, and protective chaps.
- Cut away the shrubs using a chainsaw.
- Remove the debris using a brush shredder. A landscape contractor may come shred debris for a fee.
- Flush cut stumps and plant around them.
All of the tools and safety equipment used in the yew shrub removal can be found at a home center.