How to Refinish Hardwood Floors
Applying a new finish to an old floor with This Old House general contractor Tom Silva.
In this video, This Old House general contractor, Tom Silva applies new finish to an old floor.
1. Sand the floor down to bare wood using a floor sanding machine and edge sander, both of which can be rented; be sure to vacuum between sandings.
2. Wipe sanding dust from the floor using a cotton cloth dampened with mineral spirits.
3. Use a 4-inch paintbrush to apply a base coat of sealer around the perimeter of the room.
4. Next, use a synthetic floor-finish applicator to spread the basecoat sealer across the middle of the floor; allow the sealer to dry two hours.
5. Use a clean paintbrush and floor-finish applicator to apply a topcoat of water-based polyurethane to the floor.
6. Allow the polyurethane to dry at least two hours, then apply a second coat.
7. After the second topcoat has dried, apply a third and final coat of poly.