How to Plant Flower Bulbs
Tips for planting bulbs with This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook
In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook shares tips for planting bulbs.
1. Plant flower bulbs in the fall.
2. Dig planting holes three times deeper than the diameter of the bulb.
3. For a long-blooming, colorful display, plant three different flower bulbs in a single pot.
4. First, plant daffodils down deep into the potting soil, then put tulip bulbs on top of the daffodil bulbs.
5. Cover the tulip bulbs with soil and plant crocuses on top. Sprinkle starter fertilizer between each layer of bulbs and you'll enjoy blooms from March through June.
6. When planting bulbs outdoors, scatter them by hand over the planting bed to create a random pattern.
7. Dig each planting hole with a garden trowel, or for tiny bulbs, simply press your finger into the soil to make a hole.
8. Bury the bulbs, then sprinkle a little starter fertilizer over the planting bed.