How to Install Track Lighting
Ask This Old House’s Scott Caron explains the difference between general and task kitchen lighting. He takes you through choosing, shopping, installation and provides the strategy for using both task and general in your kitchen
- Turn off power to working area at breaker box.
- Remove the old fixture and expose electrical box
- Install ‘floating feed’ to electrical box to supply power to the tracks
- Measure and cut tracks to length with a hacksaw.
- Put “L” connectors on before installing tracks.
- Measure the track’s mounting-hole spacing and drill 3/8-inch holes in ceiling for toggle bolts
- Thread toggle bolts through lighting tracks.
- Fasten tracks to ceiling by tightening toggle bolts with a screwdriver
- Add power to tracks by connecting the floating feed to the tracks.
- Install track lighting fixtures to the track
- Install pendant light to the track
- Install LED bulb into pendant light
- Turn power back on at breaker box.