How to Add Outlets to a Room
Ask This Old House master electrician Scott Caron adds outlets to baseboards as well as floors. He runs electric wiring from the fuse box to get the homeowner the coverage she needs
- Turn off all power to the working area at the main electrical panel.
- Trace out the cut area for each elecrical box.
- Drill corner holes to pilot saw blade.
- If necessary, drill into framing for wiring.
- Run electrical wires from outlet box holes to electrical panel, pulling 4 feet through the wall.
- Strip insulation from the electrical wires and attach to the electrical box.
- Attach white wires to silver screws and black wires to brass screws and then the ground wire.
- Use electrical tape to tape around the box.
- Attach the box to the wall and cover with the outlet plate.
- Repeat for each outlet needed.
- De-energize the whole electrical panel by shutting off the house’s main breaker.
- Install an arc volt breaker by attaching white and black wire to the breaker.
- Attach white wire from the new breaker directly onto the electrical panel’s neutral bar.
- Turn the main breaker back on.
- Electricity is not a hobby. If you don’t feel comfortable with any of these steps, call an electrician.