Pet insurance can help provide your pet with the healthcare it needs during an emergency and protect your wallet from expensive vet bills. From Brunswick to Bangor, pet owners in Maine have access to five excellent choices for pet insurance companies.
To help you narrow down the best pet insurance providers in Maine, the This Old House Reviews Team has thoroughly vetted pet insurance providers, surveying customers, analyzing coverage options, and comparing quotes.
Read on to learn what rates and coverage you can expect from Maine’s top pet insurance companies, with sample quotes for 4-year-old dogs and cats in Augusta, Maine.
Spot makes our list as one of the top pet insurance companies in Maine for its customizable coverage options. With Spot, you can choose from six coverage limits, four deductibles, and three reimbursement options, allowing you to tailor your coverage and premiums to your needs.
- Our score: 91
- Offers both accident-only and accident and illness plans
- Extends coverage to hereditary conditions, behavioral issues, alternative therapies, and chronic conditions
- Has some of the cheapest rates in the industry if you opt for lower coverage limits and higher deductibles
Pros and Cons
✔ Covers microchip implantation, which some carriers exclude
✔ Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee
✔ Has optional wellness care add-ons to help you pay for your pet’s routine care
✘ Does not offer an online chat feature
✘ Has a 14-day waiting period for accidents, while some providers have only a two-day waiting period
Spot Plans and Coverage
Spot offers an accident-only plan, an accident and illness plan, and two preventative care add-ons, detailed below:
- Accident-Only Plan: Spot’s accident-only plan covers treatments, hospitalization, procedures, medications, and veterinary care related to accidents.
- Accident and Illness Plan: This plan extends the coverage above to include dental diseases, behavioral issues, hereditary conditions, and other illnesses.
- Gold Preventative Care Plan: Spot’s basic preventative add-on reimburses you for routine care costs such as dental cleanings and wellness exams, offering a total benefit of $250 per year.
- Platinum Preventative Care Plan: The Platinum plan reimburses customers for additional services, including blood tests, and increases benefits to $450 per year.
Spot Pet Insurance Cost
An accident and illness plan in Maine will cost around $11.11–$85.44 per month for a dog and $5.60–$47.56 per month for a cat, depending on what coverage cap, deductible, and reimbursement amount you choose.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with Spot
Learn More: Spot Pet Insurance Review
Embrace stands out in the pet insurance industry for its flexible deductible options. While some providers offer one or two deductible levels, Embrace has five, allowing you to lower your premium by choosing a higher deductible. With the complementary Healthy Pet Deductible benefit, your deductible drops by $50 each year you don’t file a claim.
- Our score: 93.5
- Allows pet owners to choose from a range of deductible options to fit their budget
- Includes preventable and chronic illnesses in coverage, which are often excluded by other providers
- Features a decreasing deductible benefit, unique from other companies
Pros and Cons
✔ Has a simple mobile app with downloadable policy documents and a 24/7 Pet Help Line
✔ Offers three levels of optional wellness rewards
✔ Covers treatments often excluded by other providers, such as acupuncture and hydrotherapy
✘ Wellness plan pricing is less competitive than some other options on this list
✘ Caps annual coverage at $30,000, while some providers offer higher amounts or unlimited coverage
Embrace Plans and Coverage
Embrace’s accident and illness plan covers a range of conditions, such as:
- Dental trauma
- Cancer treatments
- Congenital conditions
- Chronic illnesses, including allergies
- Genetic conditions, such as hip dysplasia
Embrace reimburses customers for prescriptions, procedures, treatments, emergency care, vet and specialist consultations, diagnostics, and hospitalization. It also includes vet fees, physical therapy, and alternative treatments like acupuncture, which aren’t always covered by accident and illness plans.
Additionally, Embrace offers optional Wellness Rewards for Routine Care, a flexible benefits package that provides $250–$650 of preventative coverage, reimbursing you for 100% of routine care costs up to your selected annual maximum.
Embrace Pet Insurance Cost
Based on our thorough evaluation of pet insurance costs in Maine, the average pet plan from Embrace is $15.46–$60.06 per month for dogs and $9.09–$35.31 per month for cats.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with Embrace
Learn More: Embrace Pet Insurance Review
Prudent Pet is highly rated for its comprehensive coverage options. In addition to offering an accident and illness plan, Prudent Pet has an Ultimate Plan, which provides unlimited annual coverage and bonus features such as kennel fee compensation, mortality benefits for cremation or burial costs, and boarding fee coverage if you’re hospitalized for more than four days and can’t take care of your pet.
- Our score: 95
- Offers comprehensive benefits, including lost-pet replacement coverage and vacation cancellation reimbursements, which aren’t included in most pet insurance plans
- Includes a live online chat feature for 24/7 support
- Features both accident-only and comprehensive coverage, whereas some companies provide only one plan
Pros and Cons
✔ Extends a 10% discount when you add additional pets to a policy
✔ Allows you to adjust premium costs by choosing from a variety of deductibles and reimbursement levels
✔ Provides accident-only coverage, an affordable option for pet owners on a tighter budget
✘ The Essential and Ultimate Plans are more expensive than similar plans from other providers
✘ Coverage limits cannot be adjusted, resulting in limited flexibility
Prudent Pet Plans and Coverage
Prudent Pet offers three plans, with some optional add-ons:
- Accident-Only Plan: Prudent Pet’s least expensive plan covers your dog or cat if it is accidentally injured, providing up to $10,000 of coverage annually. These benefits can be applied to hospitalizations, medications, operations, diagnostic tests, emergency vet visits, and prescribed alternative treatments.
- Essential Plan: Prudent Pet’s Essential Plan offers accident and illness coverage with a $10,000 annual limit. In addition to the coverage offered by the Accident-Only Plan, the Essential Plan supports treatment for hereditary and congenital conditions, cancer, general sickness, hip dysplasia, ear, eye, and skin conditions, and behavioral issues.
- Ultimate Plan: The Ultimate Plan features the same coverages as the Essential Plan, but it comes with no annual coverage caps. It also offers reimbursement for kennel and boarding fees, lost-pet advertising and reward costs, mortality expenses for a burial or cremation, and vacation cancellation fees due to a sick or injured pet.
In addition to these three plans, Prudent Pet offers add-ons for wellness care and veterinary exams. Wellness add-ons range from approximately $11.95– $29.95 per month, and veterinary exam coverage can be added for just a few extra dollars per month.
Prudent Pet Pet Insurance Cost
Based on our research, accident and illness plans from Prudent Pet fall between $20.61 and $81.86 per month for dogs and $11.24 and $44.63 per month for cats.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with Prudent Pet
Learn More: Prudent Pet Pet Insurance Review
While Healthy Paws’ coverage is less comprehensive than Prudent Pet’s Ultimate Plan, lacking wellness and exam add-ons and excluding behavioral treatments and pre-existing conditions, its standard accident and illness plan comes with unlimited coverage.
- Our score: 93.5
- No per-incident, annual, or lifetime coverage caps, so you never exceed your plan’s benefits
- Offers competitive prices for unlimited coverage
- Policies are underwritten by Chubb, a highly reputable insurance group
Pros and Cons
✔ Grants a 30-day money-back guarantee
✔ Offers unrestricted coverage for congenital conditions, a feature not offered by many providers
✔ Features a simple quote comparison tool that includes other pet insurance providers’ quotes if your quote from Healthy Paws is too high
✘ Has fewer deductible and reimbursement options than some competitors
✘ Offers only one plan, while other providers in this review offer multiple levels of coverage
Healthy Paws Plans and Coverage
Healthy Paws offers a single accident and illness plan, which provides unlimited coverage for:
- Emergency care
Some covered conditions include broken bones, general illness, hereditary and congenital conditions, cancer, and chronic illness.
Healthy Paws does not cover wellness care, elective procedures, or general vet visit fees. It also has a 12-month waiting period for hip dysplasia, which some providers cover after six months.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Cost
Our research indicates that a Healthy Paws accident and illness plan in Maine costs an average of $29.87–$39.57 per month for a dog and $14.23–$18.85 per month for a cat.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with Healthy Paws
Learn More: Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Review
Fetch by The Dodo
Fetch earns a spot as one of our best pet insurance providers in Maine for its holistic coverage. It includes reimbursements for treatments like homeotherapy and stem cell therapy, which are often excluded from accident and illness plans.
- Our score: 91.5
- Offers up to $1,000 for behavioral treatments, which are typically excluded from accident and illness plans
- Includes reimbursements for vacation cancellation fees, boarding, and advertising and rewards for lost pets
- Has no upper age limits for older pets, while many providers have breed-specific or general cut-offs
Pros and Cons
✔ Features a live customer chat service on its website
✔ Covers up to $1,000 of telehealth visits with any licensed vet
✔ Lets you choose the deductible, reimbursement, and annual cap, with an unlimited payout option
✘ Does not have a wellness add-on, while many competitors do
✘ Fails to offer a multi-pet discount
Fetch by The Dodo Plans and Coverage
Fetch offers a single accident and illness plan, with no routine care add-ons or wellness benefits. In addition to standard coverages like emergency care, hospitalization, consultations, procedures, diagnostics, and prescriptions, Fetch covers:
- Chiropractic treatment
- Comprehensive dental care for all teeth
- Stem cell therapy
- Behavioral therapy up to $1,000
Additionally, Fetch covers vacation cancellation fees due to a covered pet emergency, boarding fees if you are hospitalized for four days or longer and can’t take care of your pet, and missing pet advertisements and reward money.
A Fetch policy excludes cosmetic and elective procedures, wellness care, and pre-existing conditions, which are conditions present before the start of your plan.
Fetch by The Dodo Pet Insurance Cost
Based on our research, the average pet insurance plan from Fetch falls between $36.14 and $118.51 per month for a dog and between $20.16 and $55.01 per month for a cat.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with Fetch
Learn More: Fetch by The Dodo Pet Insurance Review
How Much Is Pet Insurance in Maine?
Based on our research, pet insurance in Maine typically costs between $11 and $119 per month for dogs and between $6 and $48 per month for cats. Your rates can vary depending on the following factors:
- Age: With every passing year, your pet’s risk of injury or illness increases, which results in heightened premiums. The earlier you purchase a pet health insurance plan, the better rates you’ll secure.
- Species: Because dogs are more susceptible to conditions like hip dysplasia, pet insurance for dogs can often be considerably more expensive than pet insurance for cats.
- Breed: Your pet’s breed can lead to higher rates. For example, boxers are at a higher risk of some types of cancer, such as lymphoma, brain tumors, and mast cell tumors.
- Location: Pet owners living in metropolitan areas often experience higher pet insurance rates because veterinary costs are typically more expensive in cities than in rural towns.
- Customization: The deductible, reimbursement rate, and coverage limit you select can drastically change your rates. For reference, our quote from Prudent Pet for a medium mixed-breed 4-year-old dog in Augusta, Maine, with a $10,000 annual limit, 70% reimbursement rate, and $1,000 annual deductible is $22.90 per month. The sample rate for the same dog with an unlimited annual benefit, 90% reimbursement rate, and $100 annual deductible is $120.29 per month.
- Discounts: You can lower your pet insurance premiums with discounts, which are offered by many pet providers. Pet insurance companies commonly offer multi-pet discounts, with some offering additional promotions. For instance, Fetch has discounts for shelter and rescue adopters, veterans and military members, service animal owners, and more.
Overall, Prudent Pet is our top recommendation to pet parents in Maine for its affordable comprehensive coverage. However, Healthy Paws is a sensible pick if you’re looking for unlimited coverage with competitive rates. To choose the best pet insurance company, it’s important to consider your dog or cat’s individual coverage needs and compare quotes from a handful of providers in your state.
Compare the Best Pet Insurance in Maine
Easily compare the top providers of pet insurance in Maine to see which might be the best fit for your needs.
|Spot||Most Customizable Plans|
|ASPCA||Best for New Pet Owners|
|Fetch by the Dodo||Best Holistic Coverage|
|Healthy Paws||Best Coverage Limit|
|Prudent Pet||Most Comprehensive Plan|
|Figo||Best Extra Coverage Add-On|
|Pumpkin||Best for Dental Coverage|
FAQs About Pet Insurance in Maine
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is dedicated to thorough, in-depth reviews of each product or service that we detail in our content. Determined to build trust with our readers through transparency, accuracy, and accountability, we’ve built a detailed rating system to score pet insurance brands. Included in this methodology are the following six factors with their respective scoring weights:
- Coverage (25)
- Plan options (20)
- Monthly cost (20)
- Company reputation (15)
- Customer service (10)
- Species eligibility (10)
Our researchers keep all data in each company’s score up to date, making any changes to our content when necessary to provide our readers with the most accurate information on relevant metrics, such as plan options, customer service, reputation, and monthly cost.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at email@example.com.