3 out of 5ModeratePlug-in power cord greatly simplifies the installation
About $400 to $600
60 to 90 minutes
In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey improves indoor air quality.
Installing an air cleaner
- Remove the pre-filter and both electronic cells from the air cleaner cabinet.
- Apply strips of self-adhesive gasket around the perimeter of the air cleaner cabinet.
- Screw the air cleaner cabinet to the side of the furnace.
- Install a sheet metal duct between the air cleaner and an existing heat duct. Make the connection between the two ducts with a flexible adapter.
- Fasten the duct to the furnace and air cleaner with short sheet metal screws.
- Seal all joints in the ductwork with foil-faced duct tape.
- Install the electronic cells and pre-filter into the air cleaner cabinet, making sure to orient them in the correct airflow direction.
- Attach the electronic switch component to the air cleaner cabinet, then plug in the power cord.