Steps for Building a Raised Garden Bed:
- Attach the support brackets to the center of the cedar boards using the drill driver and screws. There should be two boards of the same length stacked one on top of the other to reach the 15″ height.
- Insert the sides into the corner brackets. Secure them with the drill driver.
- Insert the plastic cover into all four corners.
- Prep the location in the yard for the garden bed. Be sure the area gets plenty of sunlight. Cut away any grass and rake out the soil to ensure a smooth, even base.
- Put the frame of the bed in place and check it for level. Fill in any low spots with soil until the bed is level.
- Put a layer of landscape fabric along the bottom of the inside of the garden bed to keep out weeds.
- Pour the soil into the garden bed on top of the landscape fabric. Even it out with a rake.
- When the weather is warm enough, plant the seedlings in the bed.
To learn more about This Old House: Live and view upcoming programming and events, click here.
- Raised garden bed kit
- Landscape fabric
- Potting soil mix (7 bags)
- In-ground potting soil (6 bags)