Tools & Materials
In this video, This Old House host Kevin O’Connor assists epoxy-coating expert Doug Fasching in creating a good-looking, hardwearing, stain-resistant garage floor.
1. Use a garden hose to spray water onto the garage floor, then check the porosity of the concrete surface.
2. Scrub biodegradable degreaser into the floor, then rinse with a garden hose.
3. Don chemical-resistant rubber boots, rubber gloves and eye goggles, then use plastic sprinkling can to apply acid to damp floor.
4. Scrub acid into floor with scrub brush.
5. Rinse the floor clean with a garden hose.
6. Use wet/dry vacuum to clean floor of all grit; allow floor to dry.
7. Thoroughly mix together two-part epoxy; wait 30 minutes.
8. Cut in around the floor perimeter with a 3-inch paintbrush.
9. Apply epoxy with paint roller attached to an extension handle. Allow epoxy to dry overnight.
10. Roll down a second epoxy coat, sprinkling color flakes into the wet epoxy as you work your way across the floor.