Affiliate Disclosure:This Old House’s Reviews Team is committed to delivering honest, objective, and independent reviews on home products and services. To support this business model, This Old House may be compensated if you purchase through links on our website.
Whether you need to replace a worn-out couch or want to upgrade your existing furniture, the This Old House Reviews Team is here to help. We’ve researched the best couches on Amazon to help you find a suitable seating option for your home. These are our top recommendations.
Top 5 Couches
- Best Protection: Stone & Beam Bradbury Chesterfield Tufted Sofa
- Most Modern: Modway Engage Mid-Century Modern Upholstered Fabric Sofa
- Most Traditional: Zinus Benton Sofa
- Best Sectional: HONBAY Reversible Sectional Sofa
- Best Sleeper Sofa: Flamaker Futon Sofa
Best Protection: Stone & Beam Bradbury Chesterfield Tufted Sofa
While the other couches in this review have a one-year warranty or no warranty at all, this couch from Stone & Beam comes with a three-year warranty to ensure that it doesn’t wear out too soon. Additionally, this elegant sofa requires minimal assembly, with its legs attaching to its body.
- Available in nine colors
- Available in sofa, accent chair, living room chair, and ottoman styles
- 92.9-inch length
- Three-year warranty
What Customers Are Saying
Positive reviews noted that the couch’s material was durable and scratch-resistant. Many also said that delivery went smoothly. Dissatisfied customers said that they were disappointed that some of the color options were made of faux leather instead of genuine leather.
Most Modern: Modway Engage Mid-Century Modern Upholstered Fabric Sofa
This Modway couch has a box-like shape and a wooden frame, giving it a modern look and making it the perfect option if you’re looking for an attention-grabbing piece of furniture. Its cushion covers also have zippers for easy removal and washing.
- Available in teal
- 90.5-inch length
- 1,700-pound weight capacity
What Customers Are Saying
Positive reviews highlighted that the teal color of this couch was beautiful and vibrant. Other reviews noted that the couch was easy to assemble. Dissatisfied customers had issues with getting it delivered and getting comfortable while sitting on it.
Most Traditional: Zinus Benton Sofa
When you think of a sofa, you likely think of something similar to this model from Zinus with its backrest, armrests, and cushions and its ability to comfortably seat two or three people. The couch also has a 750-pound maximum weight capacity.
- Available in six colors
- Available in loveseat and sofa styles
- 76.43-inch length
- 750-pound weight capacity
- One-year warranty
What Customers Are Saying
Many positive reviews highlighted that this couch was ideal for small spaces and easy to assemble. Other customers noted that the foam cushions gave them a lot of support. Unsatisfied customers pointed out that the manufacturer’s customer service was poor and that the sofa became less comfortable after a few months of use.
Best Sectional: HONBAY Reversible Sectional Sofa
This L-shaped sectional sofa from HONBAY provides enough space to seat an entire family or group of friends. It also has a pocket on one side and a movable ottoman to give you a variety of storage options.
- Available in two colors
- 102-inch length
- 660-pound weight capacity
- Storage pocket
- Movable storage ottoman
What Customers Are Saying
Positive reviews noted that this sectional sofa was a great value for the money and was easy to assemble. Many customers also enjoyed the extra storage functions of the sofa. Critics said that this couch was uncomfortable to sit on because its seat was too low to the ground and its frame could be felt through its cushions.
Best Sleeper Sofa: Flamaker Futon Sofa
This sofa from Flamaker folds down flat to create a bed that one or two people can sleep on when you have guests in your home. The Flamaker sleeper sofa also has two flip-down cup holders and armrests that can convert into pillows.
- Available in three colors
- 65.7-inch length
- 410-pound weight capacity
- Two cup holders
- Two armrests/pillows
- Sleep function
What Customers Are Saying
Many reviews said that this sofa felt sturdy, especially considering its affordable price. Additionally, many noted that this faux leather couch was easy to clean, making it ideal for families with small children or pets. Negative reviews criticized this sleeper couch for being too short for taller people to sleep on comfortably.
In addition to type, you’ll also want to consider filling, size, frame, and other features before purchasing a couch.
Couches come in all shapes and sizes. Here are a few of the most common subcategories.
- Traditional: A traditional sofa has a backrest, armrests, and cushions. It typically has two or three cushions for your bottom and two or three cushions that you can lean against.
- Sectional: Sectional sofas come with several pieces that make a “U” or “L” shape when they’re put together. Since they’re larger than a standard couch, they work best if you have a large living room and want a lot of seating.
- Sleeper: Sleeper sofas convert into beds by either folding out flat or having pull-out mattresses under their cushions. Sleeper sofas can accommodate guests if you don’t have enough bedrooms.
- Recliner: With this type of sofa, you can pull a tab or press a button to open up a rest for your feet.
- Loveseat: Loveseats are built for two people and range in length from about 50 to 70 inches long.
- Divan: Divans are long and skinny pieces of furniture that have armrests and a cushion for your bottom. However, they don’t have a backrest.
Before purchasing a couch, measure your room to determine how much space you have. Take note of the length, height, and width of the space, and purchase a couch that fits those parameters.
Couches will usually have a wooden or metal frame. Metal tends to be more durable than wood, but frames made of a wood, such as oak, ash, or beech, will also last a long time and hold a lot of weight.
The legs of your sofa should either be a part of the frame or screwed into it. Avoid legs that are just glued to the frame because those are more prone to breaking off.
Couches can be made out of a variety of materials.
- Cotton/linen: Most couches are made of cotton or linen. Synthetic blends tend to be more affordable than natural fabrics, but they aren’t as durable.
- Silk/velvet: These materials give couches a more luxurious feel, but they’re more fragile. This makes them best for rooms that are rarely used but need to be furnished.
- Leather/faux leather: Leather is the most durable material you’ll find, but it’s also the most expensive. If you want the look of leather but don’t want to pay a high price, consider a faux leather couch instead.
The cushioning in your sofa will be filled with one of the following materials.
- Polyurethane: This is an inexpensive option that can be a soft, low-density foam or a hard, high-density foam. The higher the density, the longer the filling will keep its shape.
- High-resilient foam: This is more expensive than polyurethane foam, but it’s more comfortable and durable.
- Polyester fiber: This filling comes with a higher price tag and tends to break down faster than the other types of fillings.
- Feathers: Some couches are filled with goose or duck feathers. While comfortable, they clump together and require a lot of fluffing.
- Down/poly-fiber blend: This is a synthetic filling that’s similar to feathers but doesn’t come with a hefty price tag.
In between the cushioning and the frame should be metal springs. These springs should be firm, close together, and evenly spaced to prevent the couch from losing its shape and sagging. Cheaper couches use mesh or webbing, which are less durable than springs.
The color and design of your couch should match the overall style of your home. For example, if you’re going for a rustic look, consider a couch with a wooden frame.
Frequently Asked Questions
What couch material should I get if I have children or pets?
We recommend a stain-resistant and easy-to-clean fabric or leather if you have children or pets. Wool and denim are two fabric options that can be easily vacuumed and spot-treated. With leather, you can wipe away a spill as soon as it happens without having to pull out multiple cleaning products.
Are couches and sofas the same type of furniture?
Sofas contain a bench with arms and cushions that fit several people, while couches typically don’t have arms and aren’t as large. However, because sofas and couches are so similar, they have become synonymous over the years.
Why would I want a couch with removable cushions?
If you have a couch with removable cushions, you can rotate the cushions to ensure that they wear evenly. Additionally, if one cushion were to get stained or damaged, you could flip it over to the other side or replace it.
Why Trust The This Old House Reviews Team
This Old House has empowered homeowners for more than four decades with top-notch home improvement content in the form of television programs, print media, and digital content on its website and social media platforms. The This Old House Reviews Team focuses on creating in-depth product and service review content to help inform your purchasing decision for just about any item or resource that you might need for your home. The This Old House Reviews Team has written over 1,000 reviews on products in the home space, from cordless drills to kitchen trash cans, lawn mowers, and dining room decorations.
We recommend products in each review using an intensive research process, spending hours combing through the best available models on Amazon. For a product to make our list of top picks, it must hold a solid sales record on Amazon, have consistently positive customer reviews, and offer unique features, among other factors. After narrowing down our list of recommendations, we conduct additional research and sometimes in-person testing to ensure that the products meet our standards. Once we conclude the research phase, we craft a well-rounded, user-friendly article that includes our recommended products and additional information to help homeowners like you make the right purchase.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.