Tile for the Hearth
Designer tile is a great material for a hearth, but it isn't always the appropriate one. Fortunately, there are many other masonry products that work well for fireplace decoration, from formal white marble to earthy terra-cotta, and they are all installed using the same methods shown here. The only limitation is that they must be able to stand the heat (and a dropped log every now and then). Here are a few stylish alternatives to the art tile shown in our step-by-step.
Note: All prices per square foot.
Marble Arabescato, about $15.75*; Walker Zanger
1. Verde Butterfly, about $10; Tile Shop
2. Verde Vecchio, about $22.50; Walker Zanger
1. Alhambra Batchelder Blend, about $17.55; Walker Zanger
2. Mizu Plum, about $21.40; Walker Zanger
3. Heath Red Granite, about $43.84; Ann Sacks
1. Summer Wheat natural cleft, about $8; Artistic Tile
2. Copper Rust, about $6; Tile Shop
1. Normandie Antique, about $21.95; Walker Zanger
2. Rose Clair, about $12; Ann Sacks
Osso Travertine, about $16.35; Walker Zanger