Tools & Materials
In this video, This Old House host Kevin O’Connor and electrician Scott Matthews upgrade to a convenient front-door intercom.
1. Trace old-work box onto wall at 54 inches above the floor.
2. Notch out the wall plaster using a hammer and old slotted screwdriver.
3. Cut wood lath from wall opening with compass saw.
4. Use fish tape to pull Cat5 cable from basement up chimney chase to attic. Then drop cable down to intercom wall-box location.
5. Push cable wires into plug, then crimp the connector with crimping tool.
6. Install central-distribution box in basement, and pull Cat5 cables and electrical power into the box.
7. Use electrical tester to verify all cables have good electrical connections.
8. Install interior units of intercom, and the outdoor unit at front door.
9. Test intercom system.