Home>Discussions>HEALTH & SAFETY>Vent Free Gase Fireplace insert
6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jeanne
Vent Free Gase Fireplace insert

A few years ago when I remodeled my basement, I had the contractor prep the existing wood burning fireplace for gas. I went to puchase an insert, but they were too expensive. I recently ran across a vent free model at a home center store for a reasonable price and it has great reviews. My only concern is that I have seen some articles that question the safety of vent free inserts. The fireplace is in a large open basement area. I have another fireplace upstairs in the main floor family room that I would also like to have an insert installed. I could aford to do both if I could use this product. I am in Iowa and it has been really cold here! Thanks.

dj1
Re: Vent Free Gase Fireplace insert

It's a deadly idea to have a vent less gas fireplace anywhere in a house.

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Vent Free Gase Fireplace insert

I disagree, we have had a ventless gas fireplace for over 20 years with no problems. I do always recommend a CO detector be installed also. The bigest problem with ventless heaterss is the amount of moisture added to the air, a dehumidifier my be required.

Jack

Fencepost
Re: Vent Free Gase Fireplace insert

If they weren't safe, they wouldn't sell them. Just like plastic pipes, genetically modified corn, milk from cows treated with RBST, granulated sugar, antibacterial soap, and vaccines. :rolleyes:

Here's the propaganda page for the Vent Free Gas Products Association.

Personally, I think they are safe, but you must be aware of several things:

  • They produce a significant amount of water vapor. You must be prepared to deal with the excess moisture in the air.
  • When used in a small space, they can consume the oxygen in the room. Only purchase one with a low-oxygen sensor. Also, you may want to provide a source for fresh air.
  • Even though they produce almost no carbon monoxide, you should not operate one without also having a working carbon monoxide detector, in case something goes horribly wrong.
  • Besides water vapor, the other major byproduct of combustion is carbon dioxide. Depending on the purity of the fuel source, additional byproducts may include nitrogen and sulfur compounds and other trace complex gases. These additional byproducts are minimal.

And one last point: gas cooktops, ovens, and ranges are common and are not direct vented.

Mastercarpentry
Re: Vent Free Gase Fireplace insert
Fencepost wrote:

If they weren't safe, they wouldn't sell them. Just like plastic pipes, genetically modified corn, milk from cows treated with RBST, granulated sugar, antibacterial soap, and vaccines. :rolleyes:

Love this part which proves that my inherent cynicism may have a just cause after all! ;)

Quote:

And one last point: gas cooktops, ovens, and ranges are common and are not direct vented.

True, but these rooms are usually large and at least somewhat ventilated, plus these appliances usually don't have a very long run-time in comparison to heating units. And we hope the kitchen stuff is well monitored since burned food tastes awful if it's still edible at all- I should know about that! :rolleyes:

Phil

Jeanne
Re: Vent Free Gase Fireplace insert

Thanks for all the helpful thoughts. I found a direct vent insert at another home store. Unfortunately, neither unit will fit in either fireplace - both are too large:(

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.