4 posts / 0 new
Last post
strange wall plate

I have a metal plate which is about 4.5 feet from the floor on one of my bedroom walls. It is about 5 or 6 inches around, and for lack of a better description, it looks like a woman's breast. My house was built in the late 1890's. Can anyone tell me what this is, without me having to rip into the wall?

Re: strange wall plate

Is their some way to remove the plate? I've seen access plates like that before & usually their is a screw in the middle. Or it might pry out if it isn't painted completely shut, which it probably is.

Re: strange wall plate

A picture would be helpful. There are many different types of "plates" that can be found in houses of that vintage. Not knowing the construction of the house, what's on the other side of the wall or what it looks like makes it difficult to say. Metal covers where used to cover chimney access holes when heaters where removed, gas light fixture may have been removed and the back plate left in place, it could be the end of a bracing tie rod

, it could be and old call system plate. Those are just a few of the possibilities.

Re: strange wall plate

Then there's the classic legend of the apartment dweller, who shortly after moving in, investigated the lump under the dining room carpet.

Upon peeling back the carpet, he discovered a bolt. Figuring that just wouldn't do, he removed the bolt only to hear a loud crash! from below.

A little while later, the fellow was surprised to learn the neighbor's chandelier fell off the ceiling.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.