Home>Discussions>NEW DIY IDEAS>Remodels & Upgrades>Strange feature in 1817 house exterior walls
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
tomham
Strange feature in 1817 house exterior walls

My wife and I bought an old... really old... house and have begun totally gutting/updating everything. After ripping out all of the old lath and plaster, we found a feature in the outside walls I have never seen before. The house is balloon-framed with full dimensional lumber, which is familiar... but we found a second layer of tongue and groove siding material in the middle of every stud bay. A nailing strip was added to every stud, and a stack of boards spanned between them, beginning at the bottom and going all the way to the top of the wall. We assumed this was done to create a second air pocket within the wall to help insulate... but as I was removing some of this material I began wondering if it might have been added as resistance to racking, since sheet goods weren't available back then. The wall had lath and plaster on the inside, and a layer of 3/4" lap siding on the outside... and this in the middle.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Any ideas on what it was for? I tried posting pictures but the site kept telling me they weren't valid file types... even thought they are jpg. Thanks for any help.

ed21
Re: Strange feature in 1817 house exterior walls

For photos either post a link to a photo sharing site or link from the site to insert a photo on the forum page.
I agree with you the material might be for racking resistance although I have not heard of it being done that way. Personally I've never worked on a framed building that old. Before plywood and metal strapping, diagonal wood bracing was often let into the studs for racking resistance or diagonal sheathing was used. I would be hesitant to remove it before knowing more. Also since the walls are open its a good time to add fire blocking.
BTW- ballon framing was supposedly invented in 1832 in Chicago.

Sombreuil_mongrel
Re: Strange feature in 1817 house exterior walls

They did not have balloon framing in 1817.Re-evaluate. Maybe the foundation of the older structure was reused, or a smaller portion of the existing structure goes back that far.
It could have been for insulation or vermin control. The normal technique for rack-bracing was a let-in 1x4 (a long one) or mortised-in knee braces between the corner posts and the sills.
Otherwise, diagonal sheathing did the rack bracing.
Casey

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.